11/4/11

Molly Alexander: Privileged


For the past couple of years I have had the pleasure of being a Youth Mentor for a group of high school girls in my community.  These girls are remarkable, and I have had so much fun getting to know them.  

Out of curiosity, I asked these three young women what they were grateful for in their own lives.  My expectations didn't go too far beyond what you would expect teenage girls to be grateful for:  

for boyfriends and hang out time

for fun clothes and cell phones

for vacations and no homework

But boy was I wrong...and boy did I need to raise my expectations.  Sure their answers included their friends, but they expressed gratitude for so much more than that:

for faith and health

for family and talents

for God and life

for being forgiven

for the ability to make their own decisions when it comes to their beliefs

for love and hope

for dreams and goals

for curiosity and creativity

So much insight for such short life experience, don't you think?

I learn so much every week from these beautiful women, and I am unbelievably grateful for the privilege of being a part of their lives.
_______________________________________________________








8 comments:

Kathy ~ Artful Accents said...

We can learn so much from our youth, if we only give them the chance to teach us.

TesoriTrovati said...

You would be one awesome mentor to have, Miss Molly. And you are making such a difference in their lives. Thank you for sharing. Enjoy the day.
Erin

mairedodd said...

well, i have a feeling that perhaps you have inspired them... and wonderful to hear this... i always love when another adult tells me about my kids - how they helped or made them laugh... kids do have so much to teach us...

Patty said...

It never fails to amaze me what children are actually thinking when you ask them a question - thier answer is rarely what I expect!...and usually I can expect a good laugh!

Jen Crossley said...

How lucky those girls to have you as a mentor.

Malin de Koning said...

'For being forgiven'
Gotta love that one in particular. Mmmmm, really makes me think ...

Jan Thomason said...

You're so right, Molly!!
I have found out those things just from talking to my boys
It's mind blowing, isn't it?
And, such a blessing to hear!

xoxo

Diane said...

What beautiful pieces of gratitude, and at such an early age. I know you have a big part in it Molly...your spirit is so beautiful and shines so very bright, how could they not be grateful for you my friend? I know they are blessed and can probably safely say that you are way more blessed by them!