3/17/15

Christie Murrow: Counting My Blessings


Thanksgiving is a great time to reflect on all the ways we’ve been blessed, but the premise of this blog is to live in such a way that gratitude becomes an inherent, and ongoing, part of our lives. As I was thinking about this the other day and wondering what to write about, I realized I had a doctor’s appointment.

I happen to love my new primary; she’s encouraging, and trustworthy. This time I got a great report. Two years ago, that wasn’t the case. I was in the midst of a season of some heart issues, and it was scary, exhausting, and overwhelming. I was a compliant patient but it took several months, and lots of tests, to get my body to settle down.  Then this past fall, I went in to see my new doctor, and she expressed her concern with my weight, blood pressure, and lab values. I realized it was time for a change, and no one else could do that for me.

So, I joined Weight Watchers online, joined a friend committed to walk at least two times a week, and ordered a Jawbone to track my activity and sleep. I truly didn’t have much hope for losing weight because everything seemed ineffective. However, 10 weeks later, I am down ten pounds (even with the holidays), my labs are the best they’ve ever been, and I’m feeling better and moving a whole lot more.  I still have a long ways to go, but what a difference from a couple of years ago!

So, I’m counting my blessings, and naming them one by one.

I’m delighted, and excited, to be a regular contributor here, and trust that it will keep me looking for blessings that are all around me, and help me live in a lot more gratitude.  It’s easy to get overwhelmed in the midst of difficult situations; oh, I how get that. But today?

Start with five things you’re grateful for, and see how that changes your outlook. 

If you like the picture above, it is a free a printable from Landelu:  http://www.landeeseelandeedo.com/2013/11/sunday-encouragement-grateful-11-24-13.html

So, take a few minutes and let your list help you segue from gratitude to joy, and embrace, even if only for a few minutes, some grateful living.

_______________________________________________
You can learn more about Christie Murrow on her blog, Charis Designs Jewelry

What are you grateful for today? Leave a comment and let us know!