12/19/11

Malin de Koning: It's Funny



When my dad passed away a few years ago I was devastated. Up until that point in my life I had not yet suffered many losses on that scale. (I've been very blessed, yes.) I had no tools on how to handle it. So I just did and lived what felt necessary and good at the time. 

One or two day after his passing away I was sitting in a taxi. 

If you read my previous post here on Grateful Living you know I can't drive a car, and I get to travel by taxi instead of by public transport. Since I live quite a bit outside Stockholm city center my journeys are most often rather long. 40 minutes to over an hour. To go to my mums place it takes at least 1.5 hours. 

Anyway, I don't remember now where I was going that day. But I remember that the night before I had thought about that trip and gotten very nervous. I didn't know how I would cope sitting in the car for so long having to be completely inactive. So I loaded my iPod (didn't have an iPhone yet) with lots of stuff. I knew I needed my mind to escape, to be able to hold together. 

So I sat there in the taxi, in the backseat, with my ear phones on. And do you know what I listened to? Robin Williams live on Broadway. It was actually the first time I heard it. I don't remember exactly now, but I had probably downloaded it the night before, for this particular purpose. But I do remember this: as the taxi had just passed the roundabout by Ekero Centrum, Robin was going on absolutely crazy about something, and it was sooooo funny. 

It was so funny, and I laughed.

And I laughed. 

And my tears were pouring at the same time.

I was turning my head away staring out the window and I was thinking, "What if the taxi driver knew my father passed away only one and a half days ago?" He'd think I am an absolutely horrendous person.

Listening to comedy.

Laughing. 

I was thinking about my father. What if he knew I was sitting there laughing? What would he think about that? And I realized there and then, he actually would have loved it.

He would have laughed as much as I at Robin Williams. Coz Robin was absolutely hilarious.

We would have giggled our heads off.

Together.

Screaming from laughter.

I felt so close to my dad at that time. I was together with him. And I know he would have loved my method of coping.

Laughter.

Humor.

Funny things.

Witty.

Quick.

Silly.

Funny.

I am so grateful for the existence of 'funny'. What would life be without it really? 

Make sure you get at least one good laugh a day!


I have listed some videos on my blog, Beading By Malin de Koning, that are really funny to me.  Come on over to check them out!
_____________________________________________
You can learn more about Malin on her blog, Beading By Malin de Koning


5 comments:

Malin de Koning said...

Hi, here is the direct link to the page on my blog where you will find the films, links of stuff I find funny. http://beadingbymalindekoning.blogspot.com/p/its-funny.html

TesoriTrovati said...

What a great post, Miss Malin. Laughter is the best medicine and that helped you mend your broken heart. Blessings to you! Wishes for loads of laughter this holiday season. Merry Christmas.
Enjoy the day
Erin

In the Light of the Moon said...

I love that you have shared this...I can already tell that I love your personality...laughter is a wonderful way to spend your time.Hugs,Cat

Judy said...

A BEAUTIFUL POST...THANKS FOR SHARING

Jo said...

I nearly didn't leave a comment, as the last person to comment before me was Judy. How is it possible for me to miss someone I never actually met?

But...thank you for a great post Malin. I loved the links you put on your blog - the Star Wars one is my favourite!