12/21/11

Heather Powers: Daughters




 If I had to name one thing I am most grateful for in this lifetime it is my two beautiful daughters.

I didn't really know the meaning of love until I held them in my arms.

The world is a better place just for having them in it.

Being a mother is the definition of unconditional love.  There is nothing they could say or do to make me love them less.  My love is a constant.  A completely encompassing emotion that knows no bounds.


I love them when they are horrible and they are teenage girls, so that can be hourly.

I love them when they are lazy.

I love them when they sass back to me.

I love them when they disobey.

I love them when they are defiant.

I love them when they argue with me.

I love them when they fall apart and need me.

I love them when they are fire and rage.

I love them when they are negative.

I love them when I don't understand them.

I love them when we don't agree.

I love them when they say they hate me.  I know they never mean it.



I love them when I catch them doing something selfless.

I love them when they hug me in the morning.

I love them when we laugh about old memories.

I love them when we share an inside joke.

I love them when they silly.

I love them when they are kind.

I love them when they thank me.

I love them when they share their problems with me.

I love them when they work hard.

I love them when they reach for their dreams.

I love them when they share their joys.

I love them when they seek my advice.

I love them when they remind me of my husband.

I love them when they seem like they are from another planet.

I love them. Always.

Ups and downs, good times and bad, sweet or complicated, they are amazing humans and I am so thankful to be the one who gets to help shape them into the adults that they will soon become. Having teenagers is the hardest job I've ever had, but I don't want a minute of it to go by quicker, our time together before they head off into the world is short. Good days and bad days alike I cherish our time together.  This year has been a difficult one, but through it all our love has held us together and been the wings that helped us rise above some of the hardest challenges.
_________________________________________________
You can learn more about Heather at her blog Humblebeads


3 comments:

mairedodd said...

oh, boy... i can relate... they are lucky to have a mama like you... btw, i call my kids my personal zen masters... if there were ever humans put into my life to teach me about patience and getting in touch - they are them...
happy holidays heather...

TesoriTrovati said...

that is just the sweetest thing. i hope you give them the gift of forcing them to read this. they likely will roll their eyes. but secretly they will cherish every word. it is a privilege to be the mom to my two kids, one fully in the teenage moment and one on the cusp. i will remember this post. it speaks to my heart.
enjoy the day.
erin

In the Light of the Moon said...

A beautiful post.Thank you for sharing it all...They are so lucky to have you as a Momma!! Hugs,Cat