10/17/11

Heather Powers: Small Graces


Photo credit: FoundShop

I was blessed enough to live next door to my Great Grandmother when I was teen.  I remember one story that she told that guides me though my days.

During one of my visits while eating fresh baked banana bread, my Grandma shared how for years she marveled that her house never had cobwebs. Through the years as she raised her family and saw them off into the world, she attributed it to her homemaking skills and keeping a tidy house.

A few months after my great grandfather died she noticed cobwebs in a corner one morning.  As she got the broom and went the around the house she realized during all her years of marriage her husband had been quietly sweeping away the cobwebs when she wasn't around.  

It was a small gesture, but it made her realize all the invisible ways we touch each other throughout the day and don't even realize it. 

Those tiny bits of grace tucked into each day as you take care of your family mean more than you know.  
_________________________________________________

You can learn more about Heather at her blog Humblebeads

8 comments:

Diane said...

Beautiful....so, so beautiful Heather. Thank you for sharing =)

Alice said...

What a beautiful story Heather. If only we could open our eyes and recognize all the little things in our lives, this world would be a much better place.

Holly said...

Heather, your story moved me to tears (an easy thing to do these days, but not any less meaningful). It truly is about the tiny bits of grace that shine upon us all.

TesoriTrovati said...

That is the sweetest thing. I wish that someone would sweep away my cobwebs. These charlottes are trying to beat me out of my own studio! Thank you for sharing that bit o' grace. So sweet. Enjoy the day!
Erin

mairedodd said...

that is a very sweet and powerful story - i really love it...

Riki Schumacher said...

What a fabulous story Heather. I love it so much, thanks for sharing. Riki

Chris Kerr said...

Ahhhh Heather, what a lovely lovely story. Those little acts of service and love touch me more than if your greatgrandfather had bought her diamonds. :-)

Cindy said...

Heather, I was really touched by your Great Grandmother's story. What an incredible thing.....to be discovered later. Thank you for sharing this family story, I know I won't forget it.