3/12/15

Samantha Tennant: Out with the New and In with the Old?

The holiday season is fast retreating and everyone is sold on healthier eating…

No, this isn’t the start of a poem. It’s a fact. I walked into Trader Joes the other day and the fresh veggie section was literally wiped out. I’m a familiar face in that store, so I grabbed one of the employees and asked…

"Hey Jeff, what’s the deal with the empty shelves?"  He explained that it was always like this the first two weeks of January.  “Everyone goes on a health kick, but don’t worry, it will be over in about a week or so when folks go back to junk food.”

I had to think about that for a minute. We always eat a hefty amount of fruits and veg. I can’t imagine feasting on all of that luscious greenery and then putting it all aside for a box of Frosted Flakies or bag of Cheezie Crisps.  Why not stick with the new? Why go back to the old?

Especially when you know how it makes you feel… lacking.

Why do we continue to make choices that we know aren’t good for us, when we have true goodness all around us? I am not just talking about food but about all the lovely and unlovely bits and pieces of our lives.

There is goodness everywhere, you just have to look for it.  It may not always be in flashing, hot pink neon, but trust me it’s there.

I am so grateful that I live in a country where there is healthy food, medicines, nurses, doctors, clean water, safe neighborhoods, freedom of speech, of religion.

We truly want for nothing.

So, this year I want to want what is right, to stand up for what is right, to fight for what is right.

This year I want to say out with the old and in with a healthful, grateful heart.